What if the worlde were mayde of thicke starres?

Hello and welcome to my online journal. I've been sent here by a daimon to write what thoughts I might be having at any particular moment of the day, though I evade the task when I can.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Berkeley, California, United States

A 22-year old girl full of fancy, admiring people and things with a passion hidden behind glass.

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Reply to MG comment on "Playing Mother"

What I wont to say:

The problem I hinted at in "Playing Mother" described the unseemlyness of a heaven that does not any longer allow for the particularities that are everywhere apparent here on earth, that is, those things that seem to satisfy us, and those which do not seem to satisfy us but which we do anyway and unto our dying day. Heaven is presupposed on the idea that not only can ALL humans enjoy their life so long as they are in the same place (heaven), but also that they will all enjoy it in the same way. This seems unfair to the amount of variation between individuals that we see on earth.

My question to you is this: What reason do we have to believe that there is a heaven if there are no characteristics shared by all humans (universals) that we cannot trace back to animal traits such as self-preservation or sexual love?

Most of my arguments are based on the idea that we should believe the more likely candidate for an explanation rather than the alternative. I see two alternatives as regards heaven:

A) Heaven is a real place that is able to satisfy one or more universal traits that all humans share as a result of their sharing the same spiritual essence.

or

B) Heaven was a place invented in ancient times because sorrow accompanied death in a way that no animal had ever experienced before and an afterlife was one method of alleviating this existential distress.

I have only had one person I was familiar with die in my life - a teacher of mine. I think heaven is a much more dreadful concept than it was in the past. She was young, extremely beautiful and intelligent, just recently married after a divorce, with two young children. I state this also as an argument against having a "soul" because after this experience I firmly believe that:

That which constituted my teacher as an individual must have gone through a fundamental change in heaven in order for her to prefer that life over her earthly life.

The only argument against this is that, with supreme knowledge she would see things would turn out better in the end or something: but that is speculation I am not willing to take part in. Again, I postulate two views and I choose the more likely:

A) A heaven exists and it is such a place that changes what we normally identify with as a "self" to such an extent that it is always better to be there than on earth.

or

B) What constitutes us as a "self" is only true each moment of our lives.

Just to be sure: I choose B in both cases.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home