What if the worlde were mayde of thicke starres?

Hello and welcome to my online journal. I've been sent here by a daimon to write what thoughts I might be having at any particular moment of the day, though I evade the task when I can.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Berkeley, California, United States

A 22-year old girl full of fancy, admiring people and things with a passion hidden behind glass.

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Quamiliam

Q) The academy makes me sick..... I realize now that I never liked intellectuals, but rather individuals. The academy, indeed, may be an institution which repels such people, and attracts instead that ungainly personage who is mixed in equal parts of pedantry and banality.

K) I would not attempt to write freedom into an aphorism - it is a very philosophical concept and is not to be dealt with as a truth, because it does not express itself as truth, but as a contingency.

G) My 'secular' merits are important to me, because I don't believe my parents could be as proud of what they don't understand as I am proud while penning such thoughts.

A line from the Odyssey comes to mind: "Where shall a man find sweetness to surpass his own home and his parents? In far lands he shall not, though he finds a house of gold"

N) I enjoy seeing sports and competitions, sometimes enjoy seeing food and food being cooked (these both are the Greek in me), but I do not enjoy watching pleasures of material things - i.e. anything on the 'fine living' channel. They make me sick with hopelessness that humans will survive their gluttonous feasting upon the earth.

Y) There is a reason that one begins to feel happier when one deliberately smiles (anyone who has taken a psychology course knows this fact). The more difficult question is whether psychosomaticism adequately destroys the mind/body distinction.

L) It is not helpful to try and answer the question of whether one should lie or not. One has no reason to lie except out of one's own shame or out of genuine sympathy for another. Ends cannot be measured in such cases, one can only 'search within' and then come to understand for which reason the lie was made. Think of exceptions to this rule, but think of them to their full depth.

Q) Is the art of questioning things really so important as the art of understanding things? Think of this especially when it regards reading a text...

W) "If one were really able to advance theses in philosophy, then no one would be able to reject them" - Wittgenstein

S) Even the greatest thinkers amount to no more than a good wit in some people's eyes. One cannot be too distraught by this.

A) Do not be afraid to look and to stare! People will trust you more than if your eyes are shifting, and they will also probably be impressed with your bravery. Even if you are frightened, do not worry - the chances are that others do not have the audacity to stare as intently, and a comfortable smile also ensures that no one feels threatened. Look at others or do not look at them, but don't simply 'pretend' to do one or the other!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home