What if the worlde were mayde of thicke starres?

Hello and welcome to my online journal. I've been sent here by a daimon to write what thoughts I might be having at any particular moment of the day, though I evade the task when I can.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Berkeley, California, United States

A 22-year old girl full of fancy, admiring people and things with a passion hidden behind glass.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Asceticism

One must always be suspicious of ascetics who have never tried to be aesthetes. 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am a reformed aesthete, biding my hours immersed in the Western Canon while listening to the curious din aroused by the swell of my species."

Detachment from the world?

You puzzle me :) in a curious way.

March 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

I think it does give off a sense of detachment, but I meant to imply that "listening" also involves, well, being involved in the affairs of humanity and purveying all their different shades of being. Also a reference to the lines in Wordsworth's "Lines written a few miles above Tintern Abbey":

For I have learned
To look on nature, not as in the hour
Of thoughtless youth; but hearing oftentimes
The still, sad music of humanity,
Nor harsh nor grating, though of ample power
To chasten and subdue.

April 1, 2008 at 1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home